Fresh Irish strawberries only appear in supermarkets during the summer months, and thus should be made into extremely over the top cakes and bakes. Fresh strawberries, cream and a nice victoria sponge go down an absolute treat when eaten outside on a warm summers day.
200g Caster sugar
4 Eggs, beaten
200g Self raising flour
1tsp Baking powder
2 tbsp Milk
For the filling
50g Strawberry & Vanilla jam
1 punnet Strawberries
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Butter two 8″ (20cm) sandwich tins and line with non stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together, until you have a smooth, soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the tins. Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon, bake for about 25 minutes until golden and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.Turn out onto cooling racks and leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Sieve the jam into a bowl, this ensures the jam is really smooth.Place one layer of cake onto a plate or cake stand and evenly spread half the cream. Drizzle with the smooth jam.
- Carefully place the second cake on top and add the remaining whipped cream, followed by the strawberries.